Jan 29, 2017

Another Legend Gone; Wonder Girls Announce Disbandment

WONDER GIRLS foto.

When 2016, the year of veteran girl groups splitting up, finally was over I was not anticipating 2017 to start off with the announcement of the disbandment of the Wonder Girls. The group, whom this year has been active for 10 years are saying goodbye to each other and to their fans as the four current members Yubin, Yeeun, Lim and Sunmi are parting ways. The group has been through many member changes, as some have left and some have returned, and there was a time where I almost thought the group were done for after Sunye and Sohee left, but they managed to comeback in the most spectacular way possible with "Reboot" back in 2015. The album remains one of my all-time favorite K-pop albums and after the huge success of "Why So Lonely" last year I was sure they were going to continue releasing awesome music now that they've managed to find steady ground again.

Obviously I, and I'm certain many others, was wrong since the girls are now calling it quits. I can understand how they want to try out different things after being in an idol group for such a long time, but it still breaks my heart to know we won't be hearing any new material from them again. Additionally it makes feel incredibly sad seeing another legendary girl group come to an end, as there now aren't many groups left from the "golden era" of K-pop. There are so many newer girl groups right now that are killing the scene and that's good to see as well, but those new groups won't ever come close to what groups such as the Wonder Girls, Kara, 4Minute, 2ne1 and Girls' Generation achieved back in the day. Those groups did really pave the way for the current generation, and all K-pop fans should be grateful that such amazing groups did exist.

To say goodbye the Wonder Girls will release one last single titled "Thank You For Being So Wonderful" on February 10th, which is the 10th anniversary of their debut date. Like with 2ne1's "Goodbye" and I.O.I's "Downpour" it's nice of them to actually release a final track to say goodbye rather than disappearing into nothing, and I can't wait to hear it. I wish all the members the best in whatever they chose to do next and thank them for being amazing for 10 years. To honor their memory I want to share some of their biggest hits throughout the years, whom will never be forgotten.

Tell Me (2007)


So Hot (2007)


Nobody (2008)


Be My Baby (2011)


Like This (2012)


I Feel You (2015)


Why So Lonely (2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment