May 22, 2016

Song(s) of the Week #61

For the next few weeks I will include more than one song in this segment simply because there are so many songs I want to include that I didn't for the 10 weeks or so I didn't post anything on here. For that reason this week there will be multiple songs from various groups and possibly a few special videos as well. So until I get back on track with my posting you'll just have to endure this messy phase, but I hope it'll be enjoyable nonetheless.

Taemin - Soldier


This song is just so beautiful, and although Taemin's vocals aren't the very best he manages to pull off this quite challenging song in a lovely way, making use of his breathy vocals to convey the emotional message. "Soldier" is definitely one of those songs you hear and instantly love, and the fact that he wrote the lyrics all by himself makes it even more touching.

Astro - Innocent Love


I decided to listen to Astro's debut mini album since I liked their debut song, but I didn't know I would stumble upon this gorgeous ballad. For me, as you know, I either love a ballad or I find it extremely boring, and this one I can't get enough of. I don't know exactly what it is about it that makes it so, but the vocals are fantastic and it has a melody that's just the right amount of emotional.

Fiestar - A Sip Of Lips


My first reaction upon hearing this song was that it sounded nothing like any other song I had heard in K-pop before, and that in a good way. I don't really know how to describe the music and style either because it's so different, but I can say that it is a very sensual and sultry track that's quite subdued, and that it has a melody and hook that instantly catches you.

Oh My Girl - One Step Two Steps


"One Step Two Steps" went from being a pre-release single to a follow-up single, and I can't say that I'm complaining about the exposure of this song because it's a really great one. Composed by labelmate Jinyoung of B1A4 (who's gaining a lot of monument right now as a songwriter and producer) it's a fresh and lively tune matched with a great choreography.

Day6 - First Time


This is the opening track of Day6's mini album "Daydream" (which I absolutely adore) and this song might be my favorite on the album. It's a great rock track in every sense of the word and I love the melody and instrumental, but above all it has that vibe and atmosphere that you feel deep within your heart and cannot be expressed in words. Sungjin's raspy vocals are top notch too.

Got7 - Rewind


There are a lot of good songs on Got7's latest mini album, but this one definitely stood out to me. "Rewind" is actually the work of member Youngjae and a few more experienced composers, but I think it's great that the members are finally getting a chance to have input into their own songs. Youngjae does shine in this song as well, and it's definitely helpful that the song is just generally awesome.

Seventeen (Seungkwan & DK) - Say Yes


What is this? Another ballad? Yes that's right, here comes another ballad in the form of "Say Yes". It's performed by this groups' two main vocalists and it's really a beautiful duet. Both of them are such good singers and it's a real pleasure hearing them sing like this. The song itself is a genuinely beautiful and emotional ballad, with a perfect amount of dynamics.

Lovelyz - Dear You


Lovelyz are really carving out a signature sound for themselves, and although not every song is going to work for me I really do appreciate that they're staying true to their own sound and style. This song however is straight up my alley and although the chorus is deeply infectious the dreamy pre-chorus is definitely what does it for me. It would be great if they could promote a song like this sometime.

Girls On Top (Produce 101) - At The Same Place


This is what I meant when I said that B1A4's Jinyoung is getting famous for his composing skills, because this song written for "Produce 101" gained a lot of attention at it's release and climbed up the charts to a peak position of 8. I absolutely love this song and cannot tell you how many times I have watched this performance, and it still enchants me every single time.


I think that's about it for this week, but for the coming weeks there will be more tracks and videos that I have been watching and listening to as of recent. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment