Jan 25, 2016

The Legend Makes Their First Comeback Of The New Year With "Crush On You"

Inbäddad bildlänk

The Legend is just one of those groups I really do want to stan, and kind of already are, but there are a lot of things that speak against them. One of the factors I weigh in when deciding if I should become a serious fan of a group or not is what potential they have to grow and expand, and for rookie groups that's especially important. Stanning a group from a tiny company with no real influence or money can be hard because that ultimately means you'll see less of them (no award shows, year-end festivals, high-quality reality series and cut music show performances), and that's not what you want for your favorite groups. The Legend is, unfortunately, at that end of the spectrum which means that although I like them I can't commit to them because I don't want to set myself up for disappointment (knowing my weak heart). Still that doesn't mean I can't enjoy them casually and write a review for their new single "Crush On You", which came out January 20th.




Inbäddad bildlänkWhat I find peculiar about The Legend and their sound is how inconsistent it is, because so far all of their releases have sounded pretty different from one another. They've done pop, pop-rock, R&B, ballads and now funk. The influences of funk in K-pop have been heavily showcased in recent years as a lot of groups have dibbled with the genre if not on their title track but on the B-sides, and I personally don't have anything against that. Sure, funky music isn't my favorite type of music but it generally results in songs and performances that are fun, upbeat and energetic, as well as the music videos.

One of my main complaints about this group has actually been their videos rather than their inconsistent music, because it's only in the videos that you can tell how small the budget for this group is. Their vocals are always on point and the songs have been good, but the MV's have had me cringing because of how bad they are in terms of quality. I know I shouldn't expect much because their company obviously doesn't have that kind of money, but it still me nonetheless. That's why I was surprised, and happily so, when the MV for "Crush On You" came out a couple of days ago.

Inbäddad bildlänkYes, the budget is still pretty limited and you can tell so quite clearly, but it's an obvious improvement from most of their other ones. Song-wise I can't complain much either, because like what you would've expect from them it's another jam. It's not the most original sound and it probably won't send them off into stardom, but it's one of those tracks you can't help but to groove along to. I don't think this is their best track and I'm not sure I think this is the genre they should be doing, but that's just they way it is with them and their constantly changing sound.

Not going to lie, the fact that Nine Muses' very own Kyungri stars in this video was a contributing factor as to why I would watch this video to begin with, even more so than if she hadn't been in it. However the way they use her in the video is seriously underwhelming, because she doesn't really do anything at all except looking pretty (and awkward). I get that she's the girl of their dreams (and mine too), but I wish they had given her something more to do. I also think that the acting in this video is pretty bad overall, and although this group has been around for nearly two years I still think the members are quite stiff in front of the camera (it's particularly noticeable during the close-ups). It could be just this concept though, but either way it definitely bothers me somewhat as I'm watching the MV.

Inbäddad bildlänkAdditionally I think it's strange that they chose a black background for a majority of the different sets, because it makes the overall impression of the video quite dark. The song definitely isn't dark but rather bright and joyful, so I find it odd that they would go with a black back drop instead of a white one, for example. As for the scenography in general I think they've gone up a level compared to their earlier videos, as they've included both more sets and situations to act in, and although the styling confuses me a bit the video does look coherent and matches the vibe of the song.

I do have to mention the styling though, because the throwback is real with this one. Funk as a genre started to emerge in the mid 60's, so it's definitely retro despite it having been made mainstream again in recent years, and the retro aspect does show with the outfits they're wearing. I don't mind at all though, in fact I find it both charming and impressive that they all still manage to look good dancing in those turtle necks and colorful pants.

Inbäddad bildlänkOverall I think this comeback is a decent effort by the group, and while I can't say I 100% loved it I could definitely notice an improvement in the MV-department and along with a catchy song and a fun, retro theme the general lasting feeling is that it was, in the very least, enjoyable. However I do think that The Legend still has a long way to go before they reach any kind of commercial success, and it pains me to say it because they do deserve it knowing their talent. The issue at hand is definitely their company's lack of money and power, because if they can't afford to give the group high-quality videos, put them on variety shows and generally just promote them better The Legend will probably become one of those forgotten groups. A miracle could happen, of course, but I don't dare to be too optimistic. On the other hand that doesn't mean you can't enjoy what they're putting out right now, so that's what I'm going to be doing.

Song: 3/5
Video: 2,9/5

No comments:

Post a Comment