Jan 2, 2015

2014 End-year Review - Top 5 Videos



Part of what makes K-pop so great are the videos that accompany the many title tracks. I think a music video of any kind is a great complement to a song, but in South Korea the videos certainly have their own style. Not to say the industry hasn't been getting more and more westernized lately, but there's still something about them that stands out. Below you will find the videos that stood out to me in the second half of the year, for multiple reasons.





I honestly possess very little knowledge of g.o.d, simply because they were active before my involvement, but I was curious about their reunion and comeback this year so I figured why not give it a try. This video for "Saturday Night" is hilarious, smart and heartwarming, and is a perfect fit for their image as idol-industry veterans. The part in the end where they dance to their old songs? Brilliant.



When I saw Hyuna's teaser photos I thought I was in for just another sexy video, which isn't bad per se, but I didn't think it would be anything out of the ordinary. The video for "Red" however, is one of the most aesthetically pleasing ones in a long time, and it's full of random, funny moments and quirks. Hyuna is of course the highlight, looking and performing better than ever before. I still cannot get over how amazing this video is.



Speaking of marvelous females, my babies in f(x) really set the bar this year with their awaited summer comeback video. I cannot express the feelings experienced when I saw the teaser images, and when the video actually shared the same concept my mind was blown. It's dystopian, dark and experimental, and it finally allowed the group to express their distinct style trough motion rather than only sound.

Can I just say how happy I am that this video was made in the first place? How excited I am that Epik High brought with them some fellow rappers (Beenzino and Verbal Jint) as well as come company juniors (Mino, Bobby and BI) to feature? Seriously guys, this video killed it with a capital K. Like the song, it's powerful and confident, but also really cleverly shot and edited. It's a video you would want to watch over and over again.



The final video might come as a surprise to some, myself included, but I'm certain that it belongs here. I'm not Super Junior's biggest fan, and while I didn't necessarily like the song, the video for "Mamacita" hit all the right chords. Sure, it's not an objectively good video, but it was really stupid and hysterically funny and although it didn't make sense it made me smile. Also, Siwon's mustache is epic.


Of course there were many great videos, and I found it really difficult to only choose five as I would have liked to include many more. I think that next year I will probably skip the "mid-year" reviews and only do one of the entire year as that seems more fair. Anyway, what have been some of your favorite videos in 2014?

No comments:

Post a Comment