Dec 30, 2014

2014 End-year Review - Top 5 Songs




2014 is finally coming to an end, and I'm welcoming the next year with open arms and high expectations. This year has been tough, to say the least. Uncountable scandals and accidents have shadowed the entertainment industry, and personally I haven't had the greatest time either. I'm hoping next year will be both happier, more peaceful and full of awesome music.

Since I already did my 5 favorite songs of the first half of the year, I'm now going to present to you the ones that stood out to me during the second one. Together they will make up some of my absolute favorite jams of the year that was 2014.






Although I will have to call "Holler" a huge disappointment, Taetiseo's mini-album was actually not too bad. Although I really liked "Stay" as mentioned previously, this song had me at first listen. The smooth 90's R&B sound along with the sensual falsetto vocals made such a enjoyable combination, and I am really happy they performed it live on multiple occasions. 



Earlier this year I named BTS' "Tomorrow" one of my absolute favorites, and now I'm happy to present another Suga composed song. There's just something about the way the melody, vocals and lyrics work that really gets to me, and I'm really impressed that it's the same member that's the brain behind this one too. Only complaint I have is the lack of Jimin, but otherwise it's perfect.



Oh f(x), how I'm happy that you exist, although barely these days. Shame on you, SM. When you have songs like this one and you still treat the group like crap, something's seriously wrong. "Dracula" is amazing on so many levels, and the fact that it's so extreme and absurd yet still so impeccably wonderful is not to be taken for granted. Easily the most unique song of the year, and certainly one of the best too.



Beast is a group with many tricks up its sleeve, and although I'm not to sure how I feel about their new musical direction as shown in latest mini "Time", if they continue to make songs like this I'm happy. Objectively, there's nothing too special about it but for some reason it still manages to move and inspire me with its beautiful melody and vocals. The magic of Beast, I guess.



Last but not least is the powerhouse that is Vixx, and their redemption from blandness with the gorgeously haunting "Error". I fell in love with this song, the chilling vocals and emotional lyrics almost instantly when I heard it, and I still think it's one of their better ones so far. The chorus is flawlessly composed and executed, and how it manages to convey heartbreak without relying on the lyrical message is beyond impressive.

Now the big question remains: What songs do you think have been the absolute best ones of 2014? I'm curious to know!


No comments:

Post a Comment