Nov 26, 2014

T-ara's "Little Apple" Is The Best Thing To Have Seen The Light This Horrible Year



I had no idea what this was when I first heard the news, and as stupid as I am I didn't bother to look up these "Chopstick Brothers" and this song of theirs that apparently was a big hit in China. The concept also looked way too much like Crayon Pop's for "Bar Bar Bar" and I was wondering what they had gotten themselves into. Turns out this collaboration between the two artists is the best thing I've seen in a really long time.






Now that I've done my research, I've discovered that this particular song released by the Chinese musical/film making duo Chopstick Brothers actually became somewhat of a viral hit in its homeland, but has remained unknown to me for reasons I'm not sure of. Although it is Chinese and they don't really work together with YouTube that well, so I guess that could be one of them. However, the original video is strange to say the least and it's even stranger that it was released along with a movie called "Old Boys: The Way Of The Dragon", truly making me wonder what kind of movie that could possibly be.

Anyhow, I'm happy that I've come across this song now better late then never, and I'm happy that T-ara are the ones introducing me to it. This project is a collaboration between the two parties, and I'm not sure what the purpose is other than spreading the song, but I don't really care anyway. The track has been slightly adjusted, and now has a more old-school T-ara sound to it, which I'm all for. As much as I liked their dance beats such as "Number 9" and "Sugar Free" I really appreciate this type of style that is more similar to many of their earlier hits.

The video is definitely one of its kind too. It's not on the same level as the original, as one can tell instantly by the production value for example, but it still makes very little to no sense. The video starts off with the popular duo arriving in the airport from what I assume is Korean, as they've probably flew in from China, and then lots of things happen that is better seen than explained. Let's just say it involves some ridiculous clothing, partying in bowling alleys and nosebleeds. Again, I don't really care because its ridiculousness is its charm, and although there are some parts I find a bit irking T-ara manages to save it by being their awesome selves.

t-ara little apple mv filming bts
Other points worth noting is the choreography, seemingly adapted almost identically from the original one. It's really fun and energetic, and it gives a nice break from all the serious concepts T-ara has been doing lately. Seeing this dance routine really makes me miss their upbeat, colorful tracks like "Roly Poly" and "Lovey Dovey" and their respective memorable moves.
Also worth noting is the lack of members in this comeback; in more particular two members. I don't know for what reason Boram and Soyeon weren't included in this project, but they're probably my least favorite members of the group so I'm honestly not missing them too much. I suppose because it is a collaboration and not a full on title track comeback, they gave the job to the three remaining members of T-ara N4 and Qri, whom I've heard is the unit's new member.

I literally had no idea I would be making this review as I had certainly not planned to, but there are some things in life you can't control. My complete and utter adoration for this release has exceeded all expectations and if you're not boarding the train right now then I'm not sure we can be friends anymore. Sorry not sorry.



No comments:

Post a Comment