May 23, 2014

EXO's Kris: A Backstabber Or A Hero?

It's been some time now since the bomb dropped: EXO member Kris has filed a lawsuit against his company and is now most likely no longer a part of the group. There's been absolute chaos in the kpopsphere, especially since the EXO fandom is so big, and it seems everyday there's a new article popping out with another inside story. I just wanted to rant about whole situation and what I make of it, but the only ones that truly know what's going on are SM, Kris and EXO themselves, so these are all just my opinions. 


As of today, nothing has yet been fully decided (as far as I know) and SM claims they still haven't gotten in touch with Kris. EXO's very first concert is tonight and there's nothing that indicates that he will participate in it. What I've gathered while looking through articles is that he filed the lawsuit because of either bad conditions, management problems or money issues, or a combination of them. There's been reports of him having serious problems with his health, that he's been treated unfairly by SM, and that he's just not liking being an idol. No matter the actual reason, I think it must have been pretty severe since he actually has decided to go through with filing a suit in order to terminate his contract. SM has had their fair share of lawsuits in the past so in that sense it's not as much of a surprise because the entertainment industry is really shady and quite brutal too, and if you're not willing to put up with whatever gets thrown at you from time to time then it's not for you. I'm not defending SM or any other company because I know they can be horrible and there needs to be rules and restrictions to protect the idols and entertainers, but it's still a choice you make when you sign with them. I'm pretty confident SM is heaps better nowadays than years ago, and I do think JYJ and their lawsuit did have a big impact on the company, but I also know just how overworked EXO are right now. For some of the members the hard work might pay off because they genuinely enjoy performing and doing activities, but idol life is certainly not for everyone. Some groups have to work for years before they reach a status when they can have long breaks and rest while still having promotions from time to time (SNSD for example), and I think it all ultimately comes down to patience and willpower. I've read several times that Kris initially joined SM to become an actor, and has been upset he hasn't been able to do any acting at all outside of EXO. He also went missing for a long time (well, he went back to Canada) and people were speculating of his whereabouts and whether he would return to Korea at all. Apparently promotions for Wolf were postponed because of him, so for anyone who's been following him over the years it might not be too unexpected that he's now decided to jump ship. Because of his non-Korean nationality people have also talked about SM's unfair treatment of foreign idols, which I think is a justifiable argument, but that has also improved significantly since Hangeng's lawsuit way back in 2009.

I think what most people are upset about, and that includes me too, is the fact that he has completely abandoned his team right in the middle of promotions and before their concert. I don't really care about why he wants to leave and whatever his reasons might be I'm sure they're understandable, but to do this right now makes me quite mad to be honest. I don't blame him for wanting to leave SM, but I do blame him for letting down his teammates in this important time. In Korea, being a teamplayer is much more positively looked upon than being on your own, and if you're in an idol group it' essential to work together. I was part of a theater production myself recently, and if there was one member missing from the group it made it so much harder to rehearse. It didn't matter if that person had a particularly important role or not, it still made a difference. We even had to delay the premier by a week because one person was absent during the final rehearsal. Imagine having planned and rehearsed an entire concert, only to have to redo everything because one member decides to leave at last minute. This puts an enormous pressure on not only the remaining members, but also on all the staff. As it has been reported, the lawsuit was supposed to take place before the promotions for Overdose even started, but the tragic Sewol ferry accident put it on hold up until now. My question is why he couldn't do it even before that, so that this giant mess could have been avoided? I feel extremely sorry for the rest of the group, whom I am sure of are battling health issues and other problems just as much as Kris was, but are still holding up for each other and the fans. Actions do have consequences, and although his personal life choices should be respected, I have little respect for someone who acts without thinking of what happen afterwards when so many people are directly affected by their decisions. As for the fans, I would say they are quite divided right now. If I was a big EXO fan, I would most likely be devastated, and it would be really hard to pick a side. That's what fans do though, they pick a side and stick to it like glue. When the original lineup of TVXQ broke in half, the fans did too. I'm sure there were some who continued to support both parties but I also think it's natural to feel more sympathy towards one side. Personally I feel a bit torn in the question, because on one hand I do support his decision if that's what makes him happy, but I also think he handled it very irresponsibly.

So what happens next? As for any chance of Kris coming back, I'd say it's extremely minimal. The way it's been handled by SM so far shows no signs of a return, and I think that was the original plan too. His absence will not affect the group as a whole all too much, but for EXO-M it's a bit different. Kris was the leader after all, and he did play a big part in their Chinese activities and promotions. He spoke up when no one else did, answered all the big questions and contributed to many laughs with his goofy personality. He will be missed, and he will leave an empty space in the M-unit. I'm sure the group will be fine, but it's clear they have been disappointed and upset, as you would expect. If I were them I would be furious actually, to have been working so diligently for so long to have one member ditch last minute and mess everything up. I have experienced similar things myself, and those are the kind of selfish acts that really make me angry, when everyone is working under the same conditions too. Like I said previously, Kris has made this decision for himself and for his well-being, and I respect that. I don't know exactly what caused him to want to leave so badly and I will probably never know either but if he becomes happier and healthier by doing so than that's great for him. However I will not defend the consequences that his actions have caused, and I still think the timing for the lawsuit was irresponsible and selfish and should be criticized.  Let's just hope this is the first and last time EXO looses a member, don't you think? I'm not sure the EXOtics can survive another loss.