May 6, 2014

Beautiful B-Sides Part 2: Girls Bring The Flawlessness Out!


Yes! It's finally time for the second part of this amazing segment, if I may say so myself. One of my absolute favorite things to do is to discover new songs both by my favorite groups and other ones whom I might not listen to otherwise. You would probably be surprised at how many fantastic non-promotional songs there are, hiding on various albums and mini albums. As I spoke of in my previous post, there are often instances where the title track just throws you off completely from listening to the rest of the album, but you shouldn't be scared at all! It's when you decide to give it a chance anyway that you discover the most amazing songs ever.

I'm afraid this post is going to be pretty long, but it's full of great material so I figured it would be alright anyway. Let's begin, shall we?



I am a bit of an Orange Caramel fan, so including one of their songs here seemed like an appropriate thing to do. Their first full album Lipstick was packed with cute, funny and original tunes, but one that caught my ear was Bubble Bath. I particularly like the instrumental, but the vocals are great too and it feels very balanced.



Now, I think we can all agree that T-Ara has some of the most catchy songs out there. Their title tracks are always amazing, and you find yourself singing or humming along to them whether you want to or not. However, they also have some pretty amazing b-sides. One of my favorite songs is from their first album, which I highly recommend listening to because it's gold, is Apple Is A. 



I was, like a lot of people, really impressed with f(x)' latest full album Pink Tape, as it sported some of my definite favorite songs of the year. It's really hard to just chose one of them, because they were all great, seriously. So to save myself the trouble, I decided to not pick any of them but rather a song from 2012. Electric Shock was really popular, but my favorite song from that mini album was Beautiful Stranger. It features some rapping by Amber, and a great chorus sung by Krystal and Luna. 



I have never been a huge Wonder Girls fan, because I was simply not there when they peaked back in 2008. I never go to experience the glory days of this group, and now they've sort of fallen apart so there's not much to root for either. I do like some of their older, classic material, like So Hot and Tell Me, but I particularly enjoy some of the songs from their 2011 album Wonder World. The rock-influenced, full-of-attitude track Me, In is definitely a must listen to.



Now, onto the currently most successful JYP act: Miss A. These girls have quite a large discography, and they also have a lot of really good b-sides. I have yet not listened to every song they've put out because I'm not that big of a fan, but the ones I do have heard have all been pleasant surprises. However, it wasn't exactly that hard to chose this track, because it's just spectacular. Lips is the kind of song you want to sing along to, dance to and just have fun with.



Finally, we have none other than the Great Wall of Kpop. I think you can all understand who I'm referring to. As much as I like SNSD, I find that I like Shojo Jidai  a whole lot better. I just prefer their Japanese material by miles, and if I could I would include their entire first Japanese album on here because it's just that good. Their Korean title tracks are usually (or at least used to be) spot on, but the b-sides tend to receive the short end of the stick. Therefore I have not chosen a Korean b-side, but instead one from their latest Japanese album Love & Peace. This song is just all kinds of perfection.


There you have it! There are some (among many) of my favorite b-sides. There are so many more I would like to share with you, so maybe one day in the future I will do a follow-up version. Next up however, is the boy group edition, so stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment