Jan 6, 2014

Best Of Kpop 2013 - Gayo Daejuns

The absolute highlight of the year has to be the year-end fesitivals broadcast by the three largest television companies SBS, MBC and KBS. This year was my second time watching the Gayos and I was able to semi stream the first two ones but the MBC is broadcast on New Year's eve and unfortunately I wasn't home at the time.
As a whole I must say I'm a bit disappointed with all three of them, because neither really impressed me all too much. Obviously there were some great performances but overall it was a step down from last year. I've heard it said so many times how much better the Gayos used to be back in the day, for example 2008 which is usually named the best year. I, however have not experienced that myself so all I can compare to are the ones last year.




I have a few performances that I really enjoyed though, so here they are in no particular order.

Miss A -Hush 


This remix was so great and the girls were totally nailing it!

Crayon Pop - Bar Bar Bar


This is how the song is supposed to be performed, as a flash mob! Also, do I spot a guy with a swedish flag in there? Represent!

SHINee - Dream Girl + Everybody


Is there anything these 5 boys can't do? First they perform a beautiful piano version (hello there Henry!) of Dream Girl and then they kick some ass with Everybody. It's just so much fun to watch live and they perform it so well.

T-ara - Number 9 + Do You Know Me?

I love everything T-ara put out, and these two tracks are no exception.

CL & Lee Hyori - Bad Girls + The Baddest Female


These beautiful, fierce women are so entertaining to watch and carry so much stage presence and attitude. Props to whoever came up with this idea!

CNBLUE & DOK2 + DoubleK - I'm Sorry



I did not care too much for the rapping, although it fit suprisingly well. CNBLUE actually gets to perform live for once, and it just makes all the difference in the world (although it's prerecorded but who cares, they performed live!). They play really, really well and now I just want to see them live.

G-Dragon & Taeyang - Medley 



YG always delivers on stage, pretty much. These two carry so much confidence and presence and are a delight to watch. You just want to be there and jump along to it. Crooked especially is a blast live and I just want to dance whenever I hear it.
Apart from the camerawork this medley of both solo and collective work was spot on.

As a conclusion, it was a decent effort but it fell a bit short. As most people, I probably enjoyed the MBC one the most, but SBS would have been up there if it wasn't for the bad camerawork and sound system. Which one was your favorite?


No comments:

Post a Comment